The Botanical Gardens, created in 1817 by king D.João IV, originally intended for the acclimatisation of spices like nutmeg, pepper and cinnamon imported from the West Indies. It is now open to the public and contains more than 6,000 different species of tropical and subtropical plants and trees, including 900 varieties of palm trees. It is a unique park due its variety of species. Among them, we can find the Imperial Palm Trees, huge water lilies (Victorias-Regias), and Red Wood trees (Pau Brasil) which are almost extinguished in the Atlantic forest. In its famous greenhouse there are more than 500 kinds of orchids.
Next, we visit the Tijuca Atlantic Forest, the largest urban forest in the world stopping at the Chinese View belvedere with a magnificent view of Ipanema and Copacabana beaches, Guanabara bay and Sugar Loaf Mountain. During the tour we can usually view tropical animals including monkeys, sloths and exotic birds.
Through a 30 minute walking tour on a light trail you will learn about flora and the preservation of the ecosystem. The trail included direct interaction with nature and visiting the main points of the forest including Cascatinha de Taunay (Taunay Waterfall), Capela Mayrink (Mayring Chapel) and Açude da Solidão (Loneliness Dyke).
On the way back to the hotel we stop at the Pepino Beach to watch the hang gliders.
- Historic botanical gardens planted by King John VI
- World's largest hand-planted urban forest at Tijuca
- Lush rainforest & ocean vistas from the Chinese Outlook
- Chance to see monkeys, sloths & exotic bird species
- Sights include the Taunay Waterfall & Mayring Chapel
- Guided Jeep excursion
- Roundtrip transportation to and from your Rio de Janerio hotel in the Sao Conrado, Leblon, Ipanema, or Copacabana neighborhoods
- Food and Beverages
- Optional Gratuities
Know Before You Book
- The specific departure time for this tour will be determined upon reconfirmation.
- Pickup is available from most major hotels in the zones Barra, Centro, Flamengo, Sao Conrado, Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana or the cruise ship.
Pick Up Time: 8:00 AM
Duration: 5 Hours
A potential part of the following packages: