On the western edge of Rio’s South Zone one finds an imposing plateau of rock called Pedra da Gávea(Gávea Stone). It is the largest monolith in Latin America, as well as the highest coastal monolith in the world and makes for an adventurous hike.
According to some local legends the rock is a visiting place for extra-terrestrials as well as being a portal to other dimensions. The trail begins in Barra and passes through Tijuca Forest.
Hikers will need to keep their eyes peeled for monkeys and other scansorial animals which inhabit the tree tops. The trail culminates at the summit of Pedra da Gávea rock, 844 metres above sea level, with probably the best views anywhere in Rio.
From the summit of Pedra da Gávea there are simply breath taking views of all of Rio’s southern and western beaches, the lagoon, Sugar Loaf and overlooking Christ the Redeemer in the distance.
Meeting point at your hotel – 3 hours hiking with an easy section of rock climbing – Resting at the summit – 2 hours descent – Return to meeting point.
- Stunning Hike to the summit of Pedra da Gavea
- Professional Guides
- Amazing views
- Profesional Guide
- 7 hour tour
- safety equipment
- Beautiful hike and stunning views
- Pick up and drop off (South Zone)
- Meals and drinks
Know Before You Book
- Bring snacks (fruits, sandwich, etc)
- Bring water (1,5 liters/person)
- Bring sunscreen
- Bring insect repellent
- Bring small backpack (to keep hands free).
- Very Hard with basic rock climbing and abseiling
- Pedra da Gavea
- Pickup is available from most major hotels in the zones Barra, Centro, Flamengo, Sao Conrado, Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana or the cruise ship.
Pick Up Time: 8:00 AM
Duration: 8 hours
A potential part of the following packages: